We’ve all heard the phrase “Bloom Where You’re Planted” but what does it actually mean? And how do we actually bloom where we are planted? When I chose “BLOOM” as one of my words for 2022, I decided to dig into this phrase a little more.
The idea behind this delightful phrase is pretty much that you make the most of what you have and where you are. Instead of thinking the grass is always greener on the other side, it is more about what you can do to improve the state of your own grass.
I moved back to Florida in 2018 because it was something my ex-husband and I decided to do. I knew from previous experiences of living in Florida that it might not be the best move, but we decided to jump in and make the most of it. Of course, right from the get-go things went wrong. When we decided to separate and divorce in 2020, I thought about moving back up North, but going through a Pandemic and a divorce was already too much change to deal with so I decided to stay put.
I’ve spent the past two years finding ways to make the most of where I am such as exploring new areas, venturing outside of my comfort zone, and trying new places and things. As much as I am NOT a fan of living in Florida, I am here for a little bit longer. Maybe one day I’ll move back up North, but for now I have to focus on how I could find happiness right here where I am. How could I bloom where I’ve been planted?
HOW TO BLOOM WHERE YOU’VE BEEN PLANTED
- BE PRESENT – I had to mentally tell myself that I was going to make the most of where I was. That I was going to continue to work on my own personal growth right here, right now. It can be easy to say “Oh I will do X,Y,Z, once I have moved back to ____”. However, all that does it lead to procrastination and keep you from achieving your goals and dreams.
- FIND YOUR WHY – this is something that I have been asking myself for years. I had to take some time to really reflect on this and what I wanted to create in my life. Again, instead of waiting for the ideal circumstances, I have decided to get started on it in the here and now. Once you have a purpose, take the steps to start building towards it right now.
- TURN A HOUSE INTO YOUR HOME – while you might not be living in your ideal spot, make the most of where you are. Add touches to your apartment, house, etc that make it feel more like a home. Even add elements of the places you would rather be at to your current space. Declutter, clean, organize, and take control of your space. Turn it into a place you can LOVE.
- CREATE A JOY LIST – this is a list of things that bring you JOY. Whenever you are feeling stuck, stagnant, or unhappy, turn to your list and do one of the things on the list. These are things that you can do that will instantly uplift your spirts. My JOY list includes items such as: going to the beach, a great yoga class, reading a good book, taking a nap, hiking in nature, serving others/volunteering, or meditating.
- WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU ARE GRATEFUL FOR – You attract more into your life when you are grateful for the things you already have. I have a daily gratitude practice where everyday I take time to thank GOD for the things I am blessed to have. Focusing on what you have in your life and being grateful for that, really makes you appreciate the small things and takes your mind off the mindset of what you lack.
- PLAY TOURIST IN YOUR OWN CITY – I have to be honest, that as a Disney Nerd, part of my decision to move to Orlando was to be closer to Walt Disney World and being able to go whenever I wanted. But shortly after being here, I realized you can only do the parks so much before it gets old. Then when the pandemic hit and Disney closed, I had to find other ways to entertain myself. I began exploring not only local businesses in Orlando, but also making day trips to the beach, Savanah, ST. Petersburg, Venice, St. Augustine, and other cities close to Orlando. I explored local parks, places to hike, rivers to kayak on, new coffee shops, and local family-owned restaurants. Because of my desire to explore and learn more about the city I was living in, I was able to find and enjoy many hidden gems within Orlando. This led to a deeper appreciation of the city. So get out and explore new parts of your city, region, and state.
- BE A GOAL DIGGER – set some goals around improving yourself and your life and then take some steps to achieve those goals. When you stay focused on improving yourself and your life, you have less time to think about where you are and why you don’t want to be there. And focusing on self-care and self-improvement creates a more positive and happier mindset.
- BE FLEXIBLE – Learn to go with the flow and accept what comes your way. Be open to new experiences and say yes to opportunities that are presented to you. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is a huge learning and growth opportunity.
- JOURNAL – journaling is such a great way to deal with many emotions. Document on how you are feeling, write what is coming up for you, and use the pages as a brain dump to get everything out of your head and onto the paper. This will clear your mind and help bring some clarity to what you really want to create in your life. These little thoughts put on paper can become seeds that bloom into something beautiful.
- KEEP DREAMING – Just because you are not planted where you would like to be at the moment, doesn’t mean you have to throw in the towel and give up. Keep dreaming, keep that big sky thinking, about the life you want to create. Then set goals around the life you want to create. Plant those seeds for the future and watch them bloom.
It can be challenging to not be in the place you want to be in. There is some good, and some bad, in every day. But if you focus on how to bloom where you are planted, it makes everyday a little bit easier to get through. There is always a little something joyful in each day so you just need to find that and savor the moment.