Goal Setting for 2022
Goal Setting is something I have done for years. At the start of each new year I reflect on what I want to achieve and bring into my life in the upcoming year. Even before the start of the New Year, I write out my goals and create vision boards. Sometimes I set big, hairy, audacious goals and sometimes I keep them small and simple.
2022 Word of the Year
In addition to setting and writing out my goals, I also choose a word of the year. The word represents my focus and intention of the year. My goals are often offshoots of the word I choose. This is something that I have been doing for many years, even before it was a thing.
For 2021, I chose the word “JOY”. After so many years of darkness and depression at the end of marriage, I felt that JOY was a good thing to focus on for 2021. I let JOY lead my decisions for the year, only doing things that brought JOY and letting go of (and saying no) to the things that didn’t. That intention served me well this past year, as I was able to really focus on my emotional and mental wellbeing. In fact, it worked so well that I decided to keep JOY as one of my words for 2022.
JOY is an emotion that is evoked by wellbeing. It is a state of fulfillment and hope. JOY is something we must work to cultivate, it does not just happen, rather it is deliberate and intentional. JOY comes from within, not from without.
In addition to JOY, I also chose two more words for 2022: BLOOM and STRENGTH.
BLOOM represents growth, expansion, and fulfillment. It is a state of flowering, of beauty, of development, achievement, and abundance. This represents growing into your full potential. A period of lightness and greatness.
And finally…STRENGTH. STRENGTH represents more than our physical strength, although that is a huge part of my goals for 2022 as well. However, this also represents an inner strength. I’ve always been told that I have a quiet strength and this is something I want to cultivate more this year. It is not about what I can hold but what I can carry. Setting boundaries and knowing what I can handle and what I can’t handle.
Daily Consistent Activities
In addition to my words of the year, I have created a few goals. But a goal without a plan is just a wish. So instead of just setting goals this year, I am focusing more on what I am calling “Daily Consistent Activities”. These are small actionable steps and habits that if I focus on these consistently every day, they will lead me to achieving my bigger goals. For instance, one goal is to hit my goal weight. So my daily consistent activities for this goal include sticking to my Weight Watchers points and exercising 60 minutes everyday. If I stick to these everyday, they will help me to lose weight and achieve that greater goal.
So I thought I would also share my Daily Consistent Activities:
- Stick to my daily Weight Watchers points
- 60 minutes of exercise every day
- Daily gratitude practice
- Daily Bread – reading devotional, praying, and bible study
- Read 30-60 minutes daily so I can achieve reading 52 books this year
- 15-30 minutes of studying Spanish
- Daily Instagram post/reel
- One to two blog posts a week
- One to two YouTube videos a week
Project 50 Challenge
Recently, I came across the Project 50 Challenge from State of Mind Clothing company. The challenge includes a few rules that you are meant to follow over the course of 50 days. The idea is that this will encourage personal growth and help to create new, positive habits. Some of teh rules are so similar to my Daily Consistent Activities that I decided to do this challenge as well, mostly as a way to help keep myself accountable.
The Project 50 Challenge rules include:
- Wake Up Before 8AM -something I already do because I usually wake up at 6am.
- Do Your Morning Routine – no distractions with phone, etc. Wake up early, meditate, etc.
- Exercise for 1 Hour A Day – this is already a goal so this will mostly be to help hold me accountable
- Read 10 Pages a Day – this is intended to read personal growth related books, not fiction. I have a goal to read 52 books this year and set a goal for 30-60 minutes of reading daily so again, this is already a focus I intended on pursuing.
- Dedicate 1 Hour to a New Skill – I have learning Spanish as one of my goals and was going to put aside 15-30 minutes to work on Spanish through Babbel. I’m going to add on to that for this rule by taking time to learn Spanish through listening to Spanish music and watching Spanish shows/movies.
- Follow a Healthy Diet – as I am tracking my nutrition through Weight Watchers, this is already a focus. However, I’m working on making sure that my points count by eating foods that nourish my body – such as low to no carbs, and reducing my sugar intake.
- Track Your Progress in a Journal – journaling is something that I do off and on, so I want to document this challenge and my work this year through Instagram posts and reels, as well as journaling when things come up.
Check out the Project 50 Challenge here.
Do you have any goals set for 2022? Let me know what they are in the comments and how I can help you achieve them!
Check out the video below to hear more about my tips for goal setting and manifesting in 2022!