Weight is usually the number one marker that people use to measure their health and fitness. However, that number on the scale does not really measure how healthy or fit you are. AND that number that you see on the scale does not define who you are as a person. YOU ARE MORE THAN A NUMBER ON THE SCALE!
It took me a long time to begin to be comfortable in my body. Not everyday is perfect and I still have moments where I beat myself up a bit about my body. The difference is now I can turn that around quicker and instead be able to show my body some love and gratitude, instead of hating on it.
Love the Skin You’re In
Sure, I may be a little “soft” in the middle and not have six pack abs. But my body is strong, flexible and allows me to do the things I love like Yoga, Pilates, walking my dog, spending time doing things outdoors with my friends and family, etc. I’m grateful for the body I have that lets me do all these wonderful things.
Now I spend more time focusing on what my body wants and needs. I have been able to find that balance but being in tune to my body’s needs. A great example of this is that yesterday I was in my head all day that I needed to work out. However, my energy levels were depleted from a long and stressful work week. So instead, I chose to take my dogs for a walk and do some laps in the pool. This type of movement not only nourished by body but was soothing for my soul.
Celebrate Your Body, Don’t Punish It!
If you are someone, like me, that loves to move their body, then focus your workouts on a goal that is not related to weighing yourself on a scale. Instead focus on eating healthy foods, do exercise for fun and pay attention to how you feel in your body. Here are a few non-scale ways that you can track your fitness, health, and wellness without stepping on the scale.
6 Non-Scale Ways to Measure Your Health and Wellness
- Track a healthy habit instead such as tracking the amount of water you drink daily. One of my daily consistent activities is to drink 64 ounces of water or more daily.
- Get a glow up! One of the things I really focus on that helps me make healthier choices is thinking about how I’m eating, the stress in my life, etc. affect my skin. We all want glowing skin! So instead of choosing sugary foods that age skin or foods that cause inflammation, I choose nourishing foods that help my skin look it’s best. I’ll be sharing more on this in a future post but check out this recent post I did on Foods for Glowing Skin!
- How do you feel? One way I track how I feel is how well my clothes fit (or do not fit). I know in my body that ate well and chose healthier food options when I don’t feel bloated, and my clothes fit well the next day.
- Keep a feel good journal. I love journaling and recommend it for just about everything. You can track your mood from day to day. I’m pretty sure that the days you choose healthier foods and move your body, you will have happier days tracked in your journal.
- Energy levels are a good thing to pay attention to as well. When we move our bodies, take care of them with healthy foods, our energy levels start to rise. We have more energy to do the things we love.
- Sleep! I know I get a good night sleep when I take care of my body. The days that I skip workouts or eat heavy foods, I have trouble sleeping and have a restless night. It takes a lot of energy for our bodies to digest heavy foods, which can cause for a tough night. When I move my body and eat lighter throughout the day, I always have a great night of sleep.
I highly recommend ditching the scale for a week or even a month. Instead learn to tune into your body, listen to what it needs and when, and find other ways to measure your fitness, health, and wellness.